[SURBL-Discuss] whitelist senderbase top domains?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Sep 8 09:02:12 CEST 2004

Looks like senderbase.org has a database of the domains and IPs
used to send the most mail.  Normally that would not be too
interesting to us since we care about message body URIs, i.e.
content, and not senders or their ISP addresses, but I'm thinking
about whitelisting all the legitimate NSPs, ISPs and telcos in
their top domains list:

  http://www.senderbase.org/search?page=domains

we would exclude the few that appear to be spammers according to
spamhaus:

  imgmailer.com         TAM Network
  stocksntalk.com       iMedia Networks Inc.
  havagreatday.com

But I'd like to whitelist all the rest which are obviously
large ISPs, etc.  In essence we're just using it as a list
of some of the top ISPs in the world.

Does anyone have any comments on this?

Note that this won't have a major effect on bad guys since
spammers would not have much incentive to advertise their ISPs,
and we don't "whiten" spams for mentioning non-spam domains
anyway.  It also does not mean that we're whitelisting the ISP
address space, senders, or anything like that, just mail that
mentions these large ISP URIs.