[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Start an IP list to block?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Sep 9 23:20:09 CEST 2004

On Thursday, September 9, 2004, 2:14:29 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Thursday, September 9, 2004, 2:05:28 PM, Alex Broens wrote:
>> Chris Santerre wrote:

>>> So is there a way to use the IP info in a good way? Could SA or SURBL do a
>>> quick ping of the URL and match against a URL? This would allow us to simply
>>> list 1 IP instead of all these domains.
>>>
>>> (I'm well aware of virtual hosts! So only the filthiest of spammers would be
>>> put on this IP list. Then their IP better boot them or anyone hosted on that
>>> box would feel the rath of SURBL.)

>> I went thru a random few of these and they're were listed at Spamhaus.
>> Using spamhaus at SMTP level or SA doing RBL lookups would have caught
>> and stopped them...

> Yes, that is a good answer.  Use Spamhaus RBLs...  :-)

I should clarify that I mean: use the Spamhaus data with programs
that resolve the URI domains into IP addresses, or check their
name server IPs, then check those IP address against Spamhaus.

uridnsbl in SpamAssassin 3.0 does the nameserver check against
SBL.  Don't know if there are programs that check the web site
IPs against SBL, but probably there are.   Does uridnsbl *only*
check name servers?

  http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/URIDNSBL.pm