Unlisting IP addresses (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] RE: Start an IP list to block?)

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Sep 10 00:32:05 CEST 2004

On Thursday, September 9, 2004, 2:41:22 PM, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> If it helps, I agree with Chris.  One point to note: Virtual hosters
> can't use IP addresses in their URLs, because the web server needs a
> http host header to differentiate between all the possible virtual
> hosted sites.  However, it really wouldn't be difficult to have the
> SURBL URI detection algorithm find dotted quad URLs, and store these in
> the SURBL database just like any other domain name...

> -Matthew

Unless they own the IP, in which case it's ok to list, which we
would do.  In other words if we see http://1.2.3.4/ in multiple
spams, we would tend to list it.

We may already have some collateral damage because of IP
listings.

Perhaps we should change the way SURBL handles numeric URIs to
include them only if the IP address also appears in SBL.  That
might miss some phishers though.

As a safety measure against uber joe jobs *against good guy IP
addresses* we should consider doing something like that.

Comments?