[SURBL-Discuss] test.surbl.org

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Sep 10 00:49:44 CEST 2004

On Thursday, September 9, 2004, 9:51:24 AM, Mariano Absatz wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:58:54 -0400, Theo Van Dinter <felicity at kluge.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:08:17AM -0300, Leonardo Helman wrote:

>> > That's because it only checks the registered domain and
>> > not its subdomains?
>>
>> Yes.  The SA 3.0 URIDNSBL plugin trims down to the actual domain for
>> the query.
>>
>> That's to avoid something like:
>>
>> foo.bar.baz.test.something.else.spam.com
>>
>> where if it wasn't just domain only, there'd be queries for:
>>
>> foo.bar.baz.test.something.else.spam.com
>> bar.baz.test.something.else.spam.com
>> baz.test.something.else.spam.com
>> test.something.else.spam.com
>> something.else.spam.com
>> else.spam.com
>> spam.com
>>
>> which is just bad for lots of reasons.
>>
> And how does the plugin (or spamcopuri) knows what to look up?

> Does it use only the 2ndLD for gTLDs?

Yes.  I believe they both use a table of gTLDs to know which ones
to trim down to the second level.

> How does it work with ccTLDs?
> There are countries that register the 2ndLD and others that register
> the 3rdLD, if it receives: "spammer.com.es" will it query for com.es
> or spammer.com.es?
> and what if it gets "spammer.com.ar"?

ccTLDs start checking at the third level, unless the ccTLD allows
second level registrations like spammer.ar.

> FTR, Spain (.es) register the 2ndLD (com.es) and Argentina (.ar)
> register the 3rdLD (spammer.com.ar)... and there are countries that do
> both.

> How does the plugin work in these cases?

I'm pretty sure it checks both against SURBLs, but that would be
a question for the developers or the source code to answer.  ;-)