[SURBL-Discuss] RE: Start an IP list to block?

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Fri Sep 10 02:39:56 CEST 2004

on Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:42:42PM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:

> Matthew Wilson writes:
> > If it helps, I agree with Chris.  One point to note: Virtual hosters
> > can't use IP addresses in their URLs, because the web server needs a
> > http host header to differentiate between all the possible virtual
> > hosted sites.  However, it really wouldn't be difficult to have the
> > SURBL URI detection algorithm find dotted quad URLs, and store these in
> > the SURBL database just like any other domain name...
>
> now *that* is a good point ;)

Yeah, but when was the last time you saw a spammer co-hosted with a
legitimate host on the same IP? Crikey, the spammers I see have their
own IPs in such ridiculous abundance that it makes a mockery of the fact
that I can only get a /27 for some hundred domains we host...

Not that I'm bitter, or anything. But it /does/ seem that money talks,
even highly redolent pink money.

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/