[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Start an IP list to block?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Sep 10 02:43:36 CEST 2004

On Thursday, September 9, 2004, 5:34:05 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
> My first pass at cleaning the resolved IP data would be to take
> the to 70th percentile of IP addresses and only use those to
> check domain resolved IPs to.  It's not perfect, but it should
> cut down on the uncertainty.

I should add that this mostly applies to data where we have a
constant feed of actual spam reports such as from SpamCop.  It
does not apply as strongly to data sources where we only have a
unitary list of domains, for example where each domain appears
once over the whole list.  Though even there, it applies weakly,
for example a dozen domains that all resolve to the same network
probably could be used to bias future domains appearing in the
same network towards list inclusion.

But when you have a stream of reports about the *same domain*,
then you can get better statistics about that domain or it's
resolved IP.  There simply more data to work with in more
meaningful ways.