[SURBL-Discuss] Whitelist Please

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Fri Sep 10 04:01:00 CEST 2004

Jeff Chan wrote:

> Chris and Ryan and Raymond, don't even think about proposing
> a subdomain list.  LOL!  ;-)

What's the problem with this idea ?  It would be only one level
above the real host, so for say claranet.de you would have to
consider www.claranet.de and xyzzy.claranet.de, but you would
ignore www.xyzzy.claranet.de or more.levels.xyzzy.claranet.de

Then if I start to spamvertize my site you catch me without
hitting any other user.claranet.de (let alone www.claranet.de)

Assuming that my ISP doesn't neeed weeks to cancel my account
after I started to spam the xyzzy entry will expire soon.

> It's about time ICANN cracked down on rogue registrars.

I'll believe it when I see it.  These registrars pay ICANN's
budget, don't they ?

> There will always be disagreement about that optimization
> point.  That is natural.  (It's also a PITA.)

Sometimes your criteria appear to be a bit obscure for me.
Of course some people may love a "joke of the day" mail -
that's okay, if they like it they won't report it as spam.

But others don't like any unsolicited jokes, and they would
report it as spam.  In that case the joke-of-the-day site
_is_ spamming, and it's okay to list them.  Even if they
also have some real fans with a "legit" interest in their
joke of the day.  In that case you can't avoid a collateral
damage, whatever you do.
                          Bye, Frank