[SURBL-Discuss] Large ham corpus hits against SURBLs

Joe Wein joewein at pobox.com
Fri Sep 10 14:05:17 CEST 2004

> At the 85th percentile there were a few more:
>
>   automotivedigest.com
>   chartshop.com
>   ct002.com
>   dakotaairparts.com
>   hallogram.com
>   infoaeroplan.ca
>   investorsinsight.com
>   processrequest.com
>   sitepronews.com
>   topachat.com
>
> These are arguably false positives.  What do we know about them.
> Should we whitelist or not whitelist any?

I checked for overlaps with my blacklists.

ct002.com goes with 123greetings.com, which is *not* blacklisted on SURBL.

I blacklisted ct002.com on September 3, 2004 when I found it in a
spammy-looking mail from Raymond's spamfeed. It was less than a year old and
here's what SA thought about the triggering message:

spam, SpamAssassin (score=15.844,
 required 5, BAYES_99 5.40, CLICK_BELOW 0.10,
 HTML_FONT_INVISIBLE 0.60, HTML_MESSAGE 0.10, MIME_HTML_ONLY 0.32,
 MSGID_FROM_MTA_HEADER 0.70, OUTBLAZE_URI_RBL 3.50,
 RATWARE_HASH_2_V2 1.62, WS_URI_RBL 3.50)

So obviously my listing wasn't the first one on SURBL. I can't rule out that
the mail was solicited though.

Joe