[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Unlisting IP addresses

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Fri Sep 10 18:17:47 CEST 2004

Jeff Chan wrote:

>> That should be almost impossible, in that case the hoster
>> would be the spammer.  In other words it's not your problem.

> Probably right.  It means the hoster has control over the
> IP, which I agree most virtual hosting customers do not have.

Thinking again (new day, more coffee):  Let's say I'm the
spammer and care shit about my account and other users.  Then I
could replace <http://www.xyzzy.claranet.de/> by a traditional
<http://home.de.clara.net/xyzzy/>.  And I could replace the
host by its IP <http://212.82.225.58/xyzzy/>.  That could hit
another <http://212.82.225.58/user/>.  OTOH, why should "user"
mention this kind of URL with an IP in his mail ?  Even if he
doesn't like <http://www.user.claranet.de> for obscure reasons
he could still use the URL <http://home.de.clara.net/user> or
<http://home.claranet.de/user> instead of an IP.

And I as spammer would know that users don't like IPs in URLs,
I'd use a double redirection like <http://xyzzy.webhop.info/>.
Abusing the IP makes no sense, neither directly nor as joe job.

                        Bye, Frank