[SURBL-Discuss] Whitelist Please

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat Sep 11 03:18:43 CEST 2004

On Friday, September 10, 2004, 5:57:03 PM, Jeff Chan wrote:
>>>From: Frank Ellermann [mailto:nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de]

>>>Sometimes your criteria appear to be a bit obscure for me.
>>>Of course some people may love a "joke of the day" mail -
>>>that's okay, if they like it they won't report it as spam.
>>>
>>>But others don't like any unsolicited jokes, and they would
>>>report it as spam.  In that case the joke-of-the-day site
>>>_is_ spamming, and it's okay to list them.  Even if they
>>>also have some real fans with a "legit" interest in their
>>>joke of the day.  In that case you can't avoid a collateral
>>>damage, whatever you do.
>>>                          Bye, Frank

> Yes, collateral damage is easily avoided.  Don't list them.

> Should we ***block everyone else's use*** of the Joke of the day
> domain?  I don't think so.

Remember, the goal is to include domains that *only appear in
spams*, and to exclude domains that appear in hams.  I think
that's very clear and simple, not at all obscure.  :-)

If we include every domain that anyone has ever considered
spam, our data will be too full of false positives for other
people to use it.  It will basically be useless.

But if we include domains that everyone agrees is spam, such
as the pill spammers, warez spammers, etc. then we will have
data everyone can use safely.

I hope this is somewhat clear.