Placeholder domains to whitelist? (Was: Re: [SURBL-Discuss] Probable FPs)

David B Funk dbfunk at engineering.uiowa.edu
Sun Sep 12 07:37:57 CEST 2004

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Jeff Chan wrote:

> >> Uhm, if people need to type 'some' domain, its often blah.com or foo.com,
> >> thats common use, and the spammer using blah.com does take nice advantage of
> >> this.
>
> > Yeah, and, unfortunately, there isn't much we can do about that to list
> > them, since they'll definitely be used in ham.
>
> I'm making a list of generic placeholder domains that people use
> in examples, with the idea to whitelist them all to prevent FPs.

Um, people, this precise issue is ancient history. The IETF community
ran into this buzz-saw years ago, and there is now a set of reserved
domain names -just- for sake of documentation & examples.

See RFC-2606, check out the registration info for "example.com".

So we just need to encourage people to use the reserved names
(EG: "example.com") rather than 'foo/bar/blah.com'

#include <std_disclaimer.h>