[SURBL-Discuss] JPEG flaw in Windows - URLs in emails

David B Funk dbfunk at engineering.uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 23 04:09:50 CEST 2004

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Joe Wein wrote:

> Seems highly unlikely:
> 1) Web servers don't tend to display the JPEGs that they serve
> 2) Most web servers don't run Windows.
> 3) Those that do hopefully have been patched already - the available fix
> from M$ has gone out on Windowsupdate a couple of days ago.

Don't bet the rent on those thoughts.

An increasing number of programs/packages for Windows platforms
incorporate a mini-IIS server as a data display mechanism.
For example, a big-name software deployment package that we bought
generates its conflict checker reports as web-pages, exported via
a built-in IIS server.

So unclueful people might not even be aware that they're running
web servers on their workstations.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>