[SURBL-Discuss] RFC: SURBL inclusion policy

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat Sep 25 03:24:54 CEST 2004

On Friday, September 24, 2004, 1:32:09 PM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> | For IP addresses look them up in reverse octet order against
> | iddb.isipp.com .

> s/iddb/iadb2/

NAK, iddb is a domain list.  Domains are resolved against this list
to turn them into IP addresses, which can then be checked against
the main lists (iadb, iadb2, wadb).

> | check them against iadb.isipp.com or wadb.isipp.com

> s/wadb/iadb2/.  WA is "withdrawn accreditation" (= bulk mailer
> decided to break the IADB rules), it's a kind of blacklist.
> You could mention WA elsewhere. e.g. together with SpamHaus.

I've added iadb2 as an alternative to iadb.  wadb is still
useful, with the caveat you mentioned, so I copied the
description of WADB.

> | Visit the site or at least

> Better remove this, it's too dangerous for the kids, and it can
> be misleading without JavaScript.  If you need more interesting
> sources, you could add whois.sc (and maybe A9.com (?))

True, visiting sites can sometimes be dangeous, I added:

(I usually use google's cache of the site, or a text browser like
lynx. This is somewhat safer than using a full browser to go to
a site, which could contain malicious code. Viewing google
summaries is often good enough.)

> | 13.Apply common sense

> ACK, much better than 2.

> | but which other people might consider legitimate. This can
> | include sites like topica, yahoogroups, joke-of-the-day, and
> | similar things that people actually subscribe to. Do not list
> | them, even if they get abused for spam.

> NAK.  Nobody knows what "other people might consider".  Let
> alone to agree with it blindly.  That clause makes no sense,
> and it devaluates the important first part before the "but".

In this case we need to try to consider what other people may
use.  It can be difficult but not impossible.  Anyone who works
at an ISP, works in an IT department, visits chatrooms, knows
novice Internet users, friends, relatives, etc. probably is
aware of at least some of these kinds of sites.

Strictly speaking these may not always be personally knowable,
but it's more of an external social or cultural awareness.

> Anything else is fine, but a bit long.  "When in doubt don't
> list" could be added to the <title> and / or <h1> header.

>                         Bye, Frank

Thanks as always Frank,