[SURBL-Discuss] RFC: SURBL inclusion policy

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Sep 26 01:46:15 CEST 2004

On Saturday, September 25, 2004, 9:42:35 AM, Ryan Thompson wrote:
> Meaning, whitelisting is usually just about as difficult as
> blacklisting.

Whitelisting is sometimes harder than blocklisting.  Most
pure spams are extremely obvious.  We've all seen the many
nearly identical pill, mortgage, and warez spams, right?
Those ones are clearly spams and easy to blocklist.

There are some spammy-mentioned legitimate sites that are
harder to identify as legitimate, like those that appear
in stock newsletters, joke-of-the-day type, mailing lists,
newsletters, etc.

Those require more research to find out if the reporter
forgot they were subscribed, whether the domain belongs
to spam gangs, whether there is a Joe Job going on, or
any number of other factors.  But the decision needs to
be made if we are to prevent or fix false positives.

The decision to whitelist is often difficult and usually
requires at least some research.  Fortunately some of our
research tools like GetURI and others help quite a bit,
but classification still requires human judgement and
effort.