[SURBL-Discuss] RFC: SURBL inclusion policy

Ryan Thompson ryan at sasknow.com
Sun Sep 26 05:58:24 CEST 2004

Jeff Chan wrote to SURBL Discussion list:

> The decision to whitelist is often difficult and usually requires at
> least some research.  Fortunately some of our research tools like
> GetURI and others help quite a bit,

Speaking of which, I've worked hard to convince GetURI (new version
pending release!) to follow the SURBL inclusion criteria pretty closely;
I've added SBL lookups on the forward IP(s) and nameservers, as well as
IADB2 and WADB checks on the IP(s), although the IADB2/WADB checks
rarely hit. The SBL lookups are extremely useful. And, of course, GetURI
has had the --age option for a while now.

Here's what the output looks like now (this took 57s for ~900 messages,
even with the great number of DNS queries needed to process the 116 domains
not found in SURBL):

     http://ry.ca/geturi/public/criteriatest.html (62K)

Feedback welcome!

These features are in the current development version (not available to
the public, yet, sorry), but, once testing is complete, there'll be a
new release.

> but classification still requires human judgement and effort.

Agreed! Hopefully GetURI can reduce the human effort, so humans have
more energy for judgement. :-)

- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ryan at sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon