[SPAM-TAG] [SURBL-Discuss] Spammer threatening to sue single4you.net

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Mon Sep 27 01:34:33 CEST 2004

OK I was away from email for a while, but if this domain has
legitimate uses, then we probably should not list it, by our own
rules.

Yes, he did buy an unclean list from spammers.  Yes, he did send
spam using it.  Yes, he did violate U.S. and E.U. laws.  Yes, he
has no legal grounds at all to sue anyone since he admits to
violating these laws by admitting to spamming.  Yes, he is a
spammer.

But that's not the question.  The question is: does the domain
have legitimate uses.  If so we shouldn't list it.  We should not
list domains that have legitimate uses, even if they do send
in some spam.

Unfortunately many people will probably not understand this
position or approve of it, and some will misinterpret it as
"caving in to spammers," but in reality it's simply applying our
own rules consistently.  (To those people I would say you do not
understand what we are doing.)

What I need to know is: do they have legitimate uses: yes or no?