[SURBL-Discuss] surbl and squid

Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr
Wed Sep 29 11:44:13 CEST 2004

Hello,

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just adapted an old script I use with squid to remove
>> unwanted ads to use surbl...
>>

> I was running something like this a few months back and was shot out of
> the sky by Jeff. At the time reason given was that this is not what
> SURBL is meant for and this is not how it should be used. I agree. If
> you have SURBL running on inbound email, none of the offending URI
> should make it though anyway.
>
> Situations changed ? Also, there seem to be a few more DNS hosts serving
> out SURBL thesedays - could these handle a mass adoption at web access
> level ?

I don't know. I adapted this script as it was simple for me to do that
and as I saw some guys asking for something of the kind.

I don't use this at our domain, mainly for legal reasons. But it seems
to me that it may be very interesting, mainly and at least for phishing
fraud and similar things.

The filter we use here doesn't reject messages, but tag them. So final
recipient is allways able to see the web site. So each site is
different, and surely maybe some domains to which this kind of URL
filtering may be interesting.

On the other hand, this afternoon, there will be another new version
with some improvements : local cache, better URL handling, ...

In the TODO list, there is handling of numeric URIs and query answer
selection based on the code returned.

Jose-Marcio

  Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
  Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
  60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
  75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins at ensmp.fr