[SURBL-Discuss] Most often "hit" SURBL domains

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Sep 30 02:24:39 CEST 2004

On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, 5:13:00 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
> Regarding the top x number of most frequently queried blacklisted URIs, I
> was hoping that these could, perhaps, be listed in a simple text file that
> would be built once or twice a day in, hopefully, some kind of automated
> process. Because I don't use SpamAssassin, I don't know if the other ideas
> of implementing this would help me, but I could build a program which could
> periodically (once a day... every few hours) download this "most requested
> blocked" list and keep these blocked on my server as described. Would this
> be possible or practical?

> Rob McEwen

I'm sure it could be done, but DNS is easier.  Note also the
repeated DNS queries on the same domain are hopefully cached
by the local resolver at least within the positive caching TTL.

If the zone file expire time applies, then the queries to the
authoritative name servers would be minimal.  (If the TTL applies,
then the queries could be pretty frequent for a commonly appearing
spam URI domain.)

Perhaps this is an experiment you could try (to check the
positive caching behavior) for us?