[SURBL-Discuss] Help classify quickinspirations.com

Rob McEwen rob at powerviewsystems.com
Thu Sep 30 05:50:03 CEST 2004

Jeff:

>Most of these sites have open subscription forms, which invites
>abuse.  If they have any kind of incentive programs for
>"affiliates" or anything like that, then that plus open
>subscriptions would *beg* for abuse.

I've seen this phenomenon before... but I don't think this is at all what is
going on with quickinspirations. The volume of (illegitimate) subscribers
seens too high... but I could be wrong.

Where I've seen open subscription forms really get abused is where you have
a political web site where someone signs up their friend/relative (without
their knowledge) and that friend's politics differs... so that they can
"teach" this person. Or a political enemy of the web site signs tons of
people up anonymously just to get them in trouble for spamming. In fact, I
recently got wnd.com (whose newsletter is "open loop") off of spamcop for
this very reason, and they are ranked 1,595 on alexa.com!