[SURBL-Discuss] Most often "hit" SURBL domains

David B Funk dbfunk at engineering.uiowa.edu
Thu Sep 30 06:15:33 CEST 2004

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Jeff Chan wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 29, 2004, 6:59:51 PM, David Funk wrote:
> > A far better way to effect this is to just increase the TTL on those
> > long-term black-hat domains. (A static list is effectively an
> > infinitely large TTL, query once and keep for ever).
>
> But did you see my other comments?  The top black-hats change
> domains frequently.  The biggest spammers appear to be the ones
> to change domains the most often.  Their domains only stay on
> the top of the heap for a few days.  So in terms of the biggest
> spammers, I don't think there are long term ones.

Yes, I did see your comments, including the one where you thought
that having a static blacklist was "certainly a good idea though"

Did you understand my comments to the effect that a static blacklist
was effectively the same as a -very- large TTL?

If you are against having a large TTL for selected black-hats then
you should be screaming -against- the whole concept of a static
blacklist.

My point was that intelligent use of TTLs will give improvement
of DNS traffic without the inherent inflexibility of static
lists. (Not to mention the problem of dealing with FPs that are
cast in the concrete of static blacklist files all over the net).

> BIND definitely supports per-record positive TTLs, but rbldnsd
> I think doesn't at least in the dnset type of zone files we
> use for SURBLs, and the majority of public name servers are
> using rbldnsd.
>
> Jeff C.

TANSTAAFL

There is a reason for BIND being a resource hog.

20 years ago BIND was small/light-weight (I deployed my first
BIND server in 1987). It grew in size/weight not because some
developer wanted to craft 'bloat-ware' but because of the demands
of a growing Internet (growing in size, meanness, etc).

If you want industrial grade features then maybe you need to
consider using industrial strength software.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>