[SURBL-Discuss] Blogs still using SURBL?

Matthew Hunter matthew at infodancer.org
Thu Sep 30 22:21:43 CEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 03:34:07PM -0400, Chris Santerre <csanterre at merchantsoverseas.com> wrote:
> I remember there was some excitement that blogers had code to check links
> posted against SURBL. Is that still being used? I figured that would be
> bigger news.

I'm still using it.  In fact I was watching the spammers hit my
blogs earlier this week. Hundreds of attempts in a few days, and
they all failed miserably, because I added the domain they were
attempting on the very first attempt.  It inspired me to change
the error message for a spam reject to "Rot in Hell, spammer!",
which should give you an idea of how much I like the results.

I'm still getting referrer spam.  I will likely apply SURBL
check to that, too, using the same blacklist.  (The check won't
stop the referrers from showing up in server logs, but my weblog
software also tracks them in a database).  (And, yes, these
checks do go through a caching nameserver).

As for it being news, if it's just me, it's small news; my
software is custom.  I don't know if anyone else has actually
implemented it, or just talked about it.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt