[SURBL-Discuss] The grey area (was: Leaving SURBL)

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Apr 7 07:37:47 CEST 2005

Hi Jeff,
At 20:51 06-04-2005, Jeff Chan wrote:
>For SURBLs we don't want to have false positives or harm innocent
>bystanders.  Other lists may have other policies.  For example

This sums up the SURBL listing policy.

>Part of the difficulty is that different people have different
>ideas about what consitutes spam.  Some people think anyone who

The discussion here is more about what to do about bystanders who are used
to send out spam.  Most antispam techniques are quite effective at the
beginning.  That rate drops as spammers come up with ways to circumvent the
technique.  SURBL has introduced a grey area where redirectors are used to
send out a url.  Given SURBL's listing policy, these domains won't be
listed as it causes false positives.  There is no incentive for domains
which fall in the grey area to fix their redirectors.

Regards,
-sm