[SURBL-Discuss] Re: Leaving SURBL

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Thu Apr 7 11:17:43 CEST 2005

Jeff Chan wrote:

> For SURBLs we don't want to have false positives or harm
> innocent bystanders.

It would be utter dubious to mix completely incompatible
strategies in one list like multi.surbl.org (a bad example
is SORBS 127.0.0.6, whois.RFCI is also not beyond doubt if
you don't check the exact code).

But different uncombined lists can be completely different,
like say wadb.isipp is not iadb.isipp

> we don't need to harm innocent bystanders in order to block
> most spam sent by the high-volume, zombie-using, spam gangs.

At the moment.  They will adapt and try new tricks like using
redirectors or similar bridge pages on free and cheap hosters.

> Part of the difficulty is that different people have
> different ideas about what consitutes spam.

They also have different ideas about what causes harm to IBs:
There's almost no convincing reason to use redirectors like
Google in e-mail, unless it's spam or a pay per click fraud.

                              Bye, Frank