[SURBL-Discuss] Re: More spams with Zdnet redirector

List Mail User track at Plectere.com
Fri Apr 8 06:04:48 CEST 2005

>I posted to the CNET financial message boards on Yahoo and got this response:
>
>http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mb?s=CNET
>
>====
>Re: CNet supporting spammers NOT*
>*Folks,
>
>We're aware of the abuse, and are shutting down the URLs as we learn of them. We are NOT supporting spammers or phishers.
>
>Stephen Howard-Sarin
>VP, ZDNet.com
>===

	That sounds a lot like "after the first million or so emails are sent
we block the redirector for that URL".  It seems to be exactly the same as
running an open relay and cutting off access *after* someone complains.  Now,
of course the same spammer can use the site again tomorrow, with a new domain
and a $10 investment.

	The only safe way to operate a redirector is exactly like running a
mail server - Only those clients/domains listed *in advance* can be allowed:
Anything else is "supporting spammers"!  How many of you would run an open
SMTP relay and only blacklist a machine or domain *after* you learn about it
sending "abusive" emails?  (That's probably why he's a VP, not an engineer.)

	Paul Shupak
	track at plectere.com