[SURBL-Discuss] More spams with Zdnet redirector

List Mail User track at Plectere.com
Fri Apr 8 19:47:44 CEST 2005

>On Friday, April 8, 2005, 9:09:51 AM, List User wrote:
>>         Here I agree completely with Chris.  An open HTTP redirector is
>> just the same as an open SMTP relay.  Fifteen years ago SMTP relays were
>> not only common, they were part of being a "helpful" citizen;  Today, we
>> all consider them invitations to abuse and organizations like SORBS exist
>> to seek them out and blacklist them.  Six years ago, a HTTP redirector was
>> a similar concept - a friendly way to provide a service to others;  In today's
>> Internet environment, and open redirector is every bit as "evil" as an open
>> SMTP relay - there is no way to prevent its abuse and it is a "screaming"
>> invitation to all spammers - "use me, I'll help you!".  Just as people seek
>> out and blacklist SMTP relays, someone should for HTTP redirectors,  If Chris
>> makes such a list available, I will quickly adopt and use it (and recommend
>> that everyone else does to).
>
>That's fine, but it's not the purpose of SURBLs, which is to list
>domains only used in spams.
>
>Jeff C.
>--
>"If it appears in hams, then don't list it."

	Jeff,

	I realize this is a SURBL list, and I do fully support the intentions
and differing goals of all the different groups involved in fighting spam.
It does seem that this type of situation does not clearly fit any of the SURBL
lists.  I was simply stating, that if Chris creates such an organization and
list, I will use it - and that it might also be of some interest to of the
other mailing list members too (I probably should have "Cc:"'s the SA list,
now that I think about it).  Also, I did "Cc:" shs at cnet.com - which did not
bounce (at least yet), so hopefully he will become aware of how at least some
of us feel.

	In fact, given the goals of SURBL as best I understand them, an
attempt to recognize redirectors does seem the best fit for your group;
Even though I would like *somebody* to "step up to the plate" with something
more aggressive (like SORBS does for SMTP relays).

	At this point, the discussion has seemed to have progressed beyond
being appropriate or proper for the SURBL list, though possibly it could be
continued in some other forum(s).

	Thank you again for providing all the services that you and SURBL do,

	Paul Shupak
	track at plectere.com