[SURBL-Discuss] Abused Open ZDNet Redirector

Spam Control SpamControl at menschel.net
Thu Apr 14 05:22:29 CEST 2005

Hello Yahoo!,

Several of our users receive your Yahoo! Alerts.  This is a valuable
service for our users.

Included in your Yahoo! Alerts are links which frequently use a
redirector at zdnet.com, such as:
http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/siliconfeed/http://networks.silicon.com/telecoms/0,39024659,39129295,00.htm

Unfortunately, this is an "open" redirector, readily available for
abuse, and readily, frequently, and repeatedly abused by spammers.

zdnet.com has so far chosen to NOT close this redirector. Instead of
limiting its use to valid commercial activity, registered in advance,
they allow this redirector to be used for any purpose, valid or spam.

Because of this, because of the amount of spam we have been receiving
that uses this redirector, we have had to implement tests which
identify http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt as spam-sign.

This may have the unfortunately side-effect of causing some of your
Yahoo! Alerts to be mis-identified as spam.

The anti-spam community has been unable to get zdnet.com to change
their policy concerning this redirector. If you are able to get them
to see the error of their ways, we will gladly remove these tests from
our anti-spam system. Until then, all we can do is hope that it does
not affect your Yahoo Alerts! too badly.

Sincerely,

SpamControl, Menschel.net