[SURBL-Discuss] xs.surbl.org preliminary results

Owen, Daniel Dowen at cmaworld.com
Fri Apr 22 18:56:16 CEST 2005

More stats. I'll continue to do these internally but unless something
interesting comes up I probably won't post stats on a daily basis unless
someone wants to see them.

4/21/05
total e-mails: 9059
total strikes: 1226 (13.5% of total e-mail)
spam strikes: 1225
ham strikes: 1 (see details below)

total messages marked as spam (all rules): 6917 (76.4% of total e-mail)
total messages marked as spam (all rules) also marked by XS: 1187

also in:
URIBL_AB_SURBL: 244
URIBL_OB_SURBL: 956
URIBL_PH_SURBL: 0
URIBL_SC_SURBL: 872
URIBL_WS_SURBL: 1008
URIBL_JP_SURBL: 1077
NOT in any one of the above: 107 (.087% of total XS strikes)

The false positive:
This was a mailing list posting. The sender was sending through
input-MUNGE.com which has a standard disclaimer that includes
input-MUNGED.com. Looking at news.admin.net-abuse.sightings I see
several reports of advanced-inputMUNGED.com. Could that be it?
I also see 3 that appear to have numerous garbage URLs included but they
are 2003 and 2004 so they should not be the issue.
Anyway. It's the first false positive I have seen using the XS list.
URIBL_WS_SURBL also hits this one.

This email contains privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the person to whom it is directed
and intended. Any reproduction, dissemination or other use of
this email by anyone who is not the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this email in error, you should
advise the sender immediately and delete the email from your mail box.