[SURBL-Discuss] RE: Research wanted: age of spam gang URI domains

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat Apr 23 09:49:47 CEST 2005

On Friday, April 22, 2005, 7:27:17 AM, John Delisle wrote:
> Even if data re average age of the domains, wouldn't they just start
> registering them earlier so as to not match that pattern?

Yeah that's always a possibility.  But there seems to be some
evidence that a lot of spam domains don't get registered for more
than a year and that many are used shortly after they're
registered. For example Outblaze looks at registrations fresher
than 90 days old in their SURBL listings.

And if some spammers used older domains then we'd use other ways
to find those, or not exclude them based on age of registration.
In that sense it's a cat and mouse game, but nonetheless, many
spam domains use recent registrations.