[SURBL-Discuss] Geocities

Rob McEwen rob at powerviewsystems.com
Sat Aug 13 02:48:30 CEST 2005

Darrell,

I can confirm that there is no chance that Geocities will ever get listed on
SURBL because it is no the master white list.

Being on that list guarantees that it won't "accidentally" get on. In other
words, if one of the many data feeders into SURBL suddenly fed Geocities
.com into SURBL, it would NOT get listed because being on the master
whitelist trumps all.

...but don't start asking about too many domains because the fear of getting
onto SURBL is also an effective tool and I wouldn't want too many marginally
listed entities (like fortune 500 companies who spam) to get too comfortable
if they discovered that they were already on that whitelist :)

(not that it is necessarily that big of a secret... the whitelist might be
publicly available? Jeff would know)

BTW - somebody DOES need to give Geocities a spanking because of their
apparent lack of ability to prevent spammers from using their services. But
SURBL is NOT the proper place to dole out that punishment because of the FPs
it would create.

--Rob McEwen