[SURBL-Discuss] RE: Porn Domains and SURBL

Rob McEwen rob at powerviewsystems.com
Tue Aug 23 05:45:35 CEST 2005

It was brought to the attention of some SURBL contributors recently a
reminder that we have to be careful not to list porn messages just because
they are porn if little or no evidence of actual spamming is found. This is
because SURBL is suppose to be a "spammer's URI" list, not an objectionable
content list. There has always been a general agreement on this.

But this issue has reminded me to remind everyone to please, where
applicable, send any porn domains which did NOT quite make the SURBL "spam
threshold" over to MailPolice.com's "porn.rhs.mailpolice.com" list...
especially the newer ones which might not already be there.

In fact, for the past 14 months, I've been slowly and diligently working on
my own commercial spam filtering solution with which I hope to carve out a
nitch area where I will especially appeal to families who are concerned
about content as well as spam. Therefore, for my **own** filtering, porn is
filtered out regardless of spamming issues and, therefore, MailPolice's porn
list is a great addition to my filter. Other filters may choose to have a
"family option" or "strict option" which would be ideal for "grownups" who
struggle with porn addiction and/or great for families who want an extra
layer of protection for their own children's e-mail accounts. This can catch
porn outfits who spam "just below the radar" or it can catch them if/when
they just start spamming. Of course, this is no substitute for linguistic
filtering, for which I have one of the best porn filters ever. Of course,
the real trick is to catch these without catching the dirty jokes that
people send around to each other. (and I've gotten pretty good at blocking
the former without blocking the latter in my linguistic filtering!)

Of course, this kind of filtering is not for everyone or every mail
server!!! But I just want to make sure that you all know about MailPolice
being a good place to send this stuff to when not deemed SURBL-material.

BTW - When I start selling my spam filtering service, it will be available
here:
http://Stop-Spam-Forever-Filter-Blocker.com
(or, alternatively)
http://StopSpamForever.com

But my web site for promoting my filter is not yet built :(

Finally, funny thing is... I don't know for sure **how** best to report porn
domains to MailPolice. Jay Swackhamer <jswack at nebularis.com> is the
contact there who provided the MailPolice-to-SURBL phishing data feed. Try
him or perhaps Jeff or someone else has a suggestion or additional contact
there?

Rob McEwen
PowerView Systems
Rob at PowerViewSystems.com