[SURBL-Discuss] photo.com?

Catherine Hampton ariel at spambouncer.org
Sun Aug 28 20:06:10 CEST 2005

> Got a spam mentioning photo.com and some chat site.  The chat
> site may be spammy but does anyone know anything about photo.com?

> Seems to be several years old:

It is, and the registered owners (Calumet Photo) have been around
since before WWII in a west-side suburb of Chicago, from what a
little research found.  I saw the spams in question (got several
of them this weekend in the spamtrap), and my guess is that the
photo.com site might have been compromized or trojaned.  I'd
recommend a phone call to Calumet Photo on Monday with evidence
and paths of offending photographs in hand, to discuss things.

Meanwhile....  Until this rash of spams, I'd never heard of
photo.com before, and it's been around since 1998.  That tells
me that the chances of it being an innocent bystander are pretty
high.  I wouldn't list it in SURBL, not unless/until we get
evidence that it's been taken over by bad guys and can't be
taken back from them.

--
Catherine Hampton <ariel at spambouncer.org>
The SpamBouncer         *     <http://www.spambouncer.org/>