[SURBL-Discuss] One way to handle the Geocities spam

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Dec 1 10:15:03 CET 2005

On Thursday, December 1, 2005, 12:38:22 AM, John Graham-Cumming wrote:
> How about transforming a Geocities URL into a DNS query like this:

>      http://uk.geocities.com/xyz/

> becomes

>      xyz.geocities.com.multi.surbl.org

> And then we could SURBL check the individual pages within Geocities.  In
>   a way geocities.com is just another TLD.

> John.

Yes, that's an interesting suggestion, that IIRC, has been
proposed before.  It would require rewriting SURBL applications
and some work on the data side also.  It would also require a way
to signal that paths should be checked and at what level in the
query (i.e., what subdomain level) the path information is
encoded.

My quick answer is that it's not the type of information we
originally designed the systems to capture and check, and that
the best solution would be for Yahoo to properly deal with their
abuse issues.  Hopefully they will start doing a better job of
that.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.