[SURBL-Discuss] Re: One way to handle the Geocities spam

Eric Montréal erv at mailpeers.net
Thu Dec 15 05:14:02 CET 2005

mouss wrote:

> Warren Robinson a écrit :
>
>> Hi All,
>> Any feedback on how effective this is ?
>
> it would be good to share these. most of those I've looked at are of
> the form
>    *.geocities.com/*/?
> so I can just block these since /? is very rare in general.

The rule called GeocitiesRd in the rule set does just that :
http://nospam.mailpeers.net/subevil.cf

> of course, it would be better if yahoo track the args to any page to
> detect those whioch corrspond to the actual spam,

I agree, but the new spams generally don't use this tracking system
anymore, so
it's becoming less useful ...

the encoded javascript redirector most of those pages contain is a piece
of cake to
detect, and as the saying goes, when there's a will, there's a way.

I even prepared a list of live spam urls to make it easier for them :
http://nospam.mailpeers.net/alive_spammy.txt

When will Yahoo / Geocities stop protecting spammers on their network ?

Only Yahoo can answer the question, and we've already been waiting far
too long ...

> and they could also run a content filter against those which get hit
> too much.

I suspect they don't get that many hits and it would not be a good
indicator, If they had
a sizable charge, the sites would be 'temporarily disabled' since the
hourly traffic on
free Geocities sites is capped around 3 megs / hour ...

Eric