[SURBL-Discuss] 'Geocities Spam' ... a miracle ?

Eric Montréal erv at mailpeers.net
Fri Dec 16 10:59:21 CET 2005

Hi,

Looks like, after months ignoring the problem, a miracle finally
happened at Yahoo / Geocities tonight ...

Yesterday, my list of alive Geocities spammy sites was more than 350
names long.

Tonight it's down to ... 14 Geocities sites ! All others have been shutdown
http://nospam.mailpeers.net/alive_spammy.txt

Just for fun, here is the RIP list:
http://nospam.mailpeers.net/rip_spammy.txt

Could you guys verify that the sites marked as 'Closed' in the ruleset
are 403/404 from your location too ?
http://nospam.mailpeers.net/subevil.cf

Here is a one liner bash command line script to check them all (don't
worry, wget in spider mode downloads nothing) :

wget http://nospam.mailpeers.net/rip_spammy.txt -Orip.txt;for i in
$(egrep -i
'^http:[0-9a-z\/_\-\.]*\bgeocities\b[0-9a-z\/_\-\.]*$'<rip.txt);do echo
-n "$i - ";wget -T3 -t3 -w3 --spider -U"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE
6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)" $i 2>&1|grep
'awaiting'|cut -d'.' -f4|cut -d' ' -f2-;done;rm -f rip.txt

Are they all 403 or 404 ?

Would be too bad if they ... just banned my spider! (I connected from 3
different places, got the same results)

Anyways, keep sending those spammy URLs to spamslut at mailpeers.net , but
it seems like someone at Yahoo
finally decided to act before being caught in a fine Spamassassin plugin
or some ugly wget loops ...

Let's see if that was a one time action or if they'll keep cleaning the
mess until the spammers move out of their
servers and back to places where SURBL will be able to toast them ...

Waiting for your feedback, as usual ;-)

Eric.