[SURBL-Discuss] FP rate?

Alain coc454402 at sneakemail.com
Sun Feb 13 00:54:42 CET 2005

Hi Rob

> Alain:
>
> I like your brainstorming because you just might come up with an idea or two
> that I haven't thought of before... so don't let me slow you down too
> much....

Well reading a year list msg's gives some idea's ;-)  (Well I did skip
most of the reported  FP uri's msg's).

> However, do note that there are some limitations to the "if on more than one
> list, probably not an FP" philosophy.

I'm well aware of that. At the moment I'm mostly asking for info about
it.   It could be that taken "at least 2" or "at least 3" catches a
very high % of the spammsg's (% against all lists "OR'ed"), so that
this combination is still performing very well.  Given the low nr of
FP's on the seperate lists, even decreasing this a little bit would
give a big boost.

> This philosophy works great if the potential FP was due to "stupid human
> error" from one guy regarding one list. However, there are a number of
> scenarios where a mass mailing spam campaign may trigger a URI to get listed
> on multiple SURBL lists, even if that particular URI is found in ham. Of
> course, we do all that we can to minimize this possibility... and I believe
> that we are doing a great job and we are continually getting better...

I think you're already doing a very good job weeding out FP's.  I'm
aware that there could be conditions where a FP goes into more than
one list.  I'm also confident that those FP's are reported faster and
thus solved faster too.

> But, again, there are diminishing returns to the "if found in multiple SURBL
> lists, less change of FP" idea. This is true to an extent, but **not**
> always true.

Given that it's for me rather easy to implement a "scoring"
combination from the different lists and that this is easy to
configure.  (I suspect most end-users will understand that and that
it's easy to "publish" new recommended weigth's.)  I think "at least
2" could be the default, without generating FP's (or almost none).
The main filtering app that I write a plugin  for (spampal) has nice
whitelisting, but this needs a few weeks use before being really
active.

PS. I hope I was clear, it's getting late here.

Alain