[SURBL-Discuss] RFC: remove zone files from SURBL web site

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Jan 19 15:39:28 CET 2005

> >I'd like to get rid of the sc and ws bind and rbldnsd zone files
> >from the SURBL web site and replace them with a note asking
> >people to use rsync instead.  Does anyone have any comments on
> >this?  We don't want people grabbing the zone files from the web
> >site since rsync is so much more efficient.

I believe you have always said "DON'T GRAB THE RULES FROM THE WEBSITE".  So
just take them down if need be.  However, here's some other thoughts:

1. Block bots that are proper with a robots.txt
2. Block improper bots with a bad_bots deny like this in Apache:

BrowserMatchNoCase ^Wget bad_bots
#DEFAULT PERMISSIONS
<Directory />
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
  Options FollowSymlinks Includes
  AllowOverride None
  deny from env=bad_bots
</Directory>

3. Recommend an autoresponder via email to email them out once a week or
something to people using sendmail & vacation .  I can give you quick
examples if you want and this would let people test out the stuff but not
overload the servers.

> Makes sense to me. And if they don't stop, then deny their IP. Which is
what
> I'm about to do to all those people still trying to download rules that
> haven't been on my server in almost a year!

Chris, a year is really nothing.  Google and all these way back archives
make things pretty long-lasting.  If it's causing a problem with your
server, put a text file that says the new location in it instead of the
actual rules.

Regards,
KAM