[SURBL-Discuss] MIT piranhas

Mon Jan 24 16:56:17 CET 2005

Well only one person mentioned URL blacklists in their presentation at MIT
Friday. They simply mentioned they were one way to stop spam. (At one point
I snuck up to the blackboard and wrote "SURBL.org" on it :)

However in the hallways and during breaks MANY people got excited by my name
tag.
"Oh you are from 'serbil'!"
Yeah, I had no idea people said it like that. Sounds like gerbil with an
'S'!

Many people asked about hand checking and how we do it. I down played it an
said we had a lot of data from another secret project that no one really
know about. And that it helps us  greatly. (I've BCC'd that project on this
email so lets watch those replies people!!!)

Anyway, the word "secret" seems to send people into a feeding frenzy of
questions and "Can I join?" verbal diarrhea. To which I have to say, "If
everyone joined, it wouldn't be a secret!" I just found that interesting.

Lots of people happy with SURBL. And some possible connections of sharing
data with other people. I'll speak more about that off list.

I'll make another post reviewing the whole MIT conference.

Chris Santerre
System Admin and SARE/SURBL Ninja
http://www.rulesemporium.com
http://www.surbl.org
'It is not the strongest of the species that survives,
not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.'
Charles Darwin