[SURBL-Discuss] Testing new versions of SC and XS

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Thu Jul 14 14:45:25 CEST 2005

The new SURBL data engine is ready enough to start testing.  The
external lists such as WS, JP, OB, AB, PH have essentially the
same content as before, but the SC and XS lists are significantly
updated.

The new XS list is twice as large at about 1000 records and the
inclusion is a lot more selective to get more spammers and far
fewer FPs.

The new SC list has about the same 500 or so records based on
report counts, but adds nearly 4000 domains based on their IP
resolutions into the most spammy networks.  That's in addition to
my manual blacklist which is also several thousand records now,
but the manual blacklist applies to both old and new lists, so
it's the bad IP domains that are the main change.  By design,
they're very spammy; they're pretty much the most spammy of those
reported to SpamCop.

I'd like us to start testing these now.  We can simply change XS
over to the new data at some point, but for SC, we should set
up a temporary new domain like sc2.surbl.org so it can be tested
independently of sc.  The new lists should be significant
improvements over the old lists, but naturally we should test
the new SC list before putting it into production since sc is
currently live.  Would anyone with a public nameserver like to
carry sc2 for testing?  It is a temporary zone and will go away
after testing.  Please reply off list if you can serve it up.

Perhaps we'll cut over XS when we have SC2 set up so the changes
are more or less simultaneous.  Might make testing/stats simpler
to keep track of that way.

Note: please don't start testing sc2 in a major way until we have
several name servers set up.  Even then the name servers probably
won't handle large production loads, so it should be tested on
smaller mail servers, test corpora, etc.  We'll mention here when
it's ok to start testing.

Comments?

Don't harm innocent bystanders.