[SURBL-Discuss] Help for the Windows Guy!

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Mar 2 15:32:14 CET 2005

Jeff:

I think others looked at you wanting to run SA on Windows but I'm going to
take a different tact since you are already running a linux box. In short,
answer the question of how can I protect an exchange server from viruses &
spam.

First, I think you should look at Can-IT.  They just released a "free as in
beer" version for companies with less than 50 users.  Otherwise the Can-IT
Pro is a fabulous product and I always have to give them kudos for also
releasing MIMEDefang as Open Source.

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/ &
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/anti_spam/free_canit.php

Second, if you want to get into the nuts & bolts, you should run a linux box
and install Sendmail 8.13.3 w/ Greet Pause & Bad Recipient Throttling,
poprelayd-kam to blackhold the harvesting sites, then MIMEDefang, a milter
written by the same people as CanIt.  Have MD call SpamAssassin which
implements SURBL.  Add ClamAV or McAfee uvscan to the mix and you have great
anti-viral features as well.  Final step would be to configure LDAP on your
linux box so you can "extend" the edge of your network to bounce bad emails
ASAP.  I've done this many many times and have instructions to help get you
started if you want to take this avenue.

Regards,
KAM