[SURBL-Discuss] Re: SP91011 your recent report to eBay's Trustand Safety Department (KMM157050156V37604L0KM)

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Fri Mar 4 23:39:45 CET 2005

On Friday, March 4, 2005, 1:52:21 PM, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> Isn't there a way for SURBL to detect these encoded redirect destination
> URLs and check those (without the prepended redirector)?

Well technically SURBLs are lists.  They don't detect anything
by themselves.  ;-)  However programs that use SURBLs such as
SpamAssassin's urirhs* and SpamCopURI do handle redirection
sites:

  http://www.surbl.org/faq.html#redirect

> SpamAssassin programs such as SpamCopURI and urirhdbl that use
> SURBLs are capable of handling redirections to differing
> degrees. SpamCopURI 0.14 uses LWP to get Location information
> to untangle up to four levels of redirection sites without
> actually visiting the sites. URIDNSBL's urirhsbl includes
> patterns to extract the final domains from some redirection
> URIs. Further development will probably improve the handling of
> redirection sites.

Other programs may have similar or different strategies for
handling redirection or not do anything special at all.
If anyone has info about other programs, let us/me know and
I'll add it to the FAQ.