[SPAM-TAG] Re: [SURBL-Discuss] A list of spammers urls

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Mar 15 02:03:31 CET 2005

Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Friday, March 11, 2005, 2:30:05 PM, Matthew Eerde wrote:
>> Jeff Chan wrote:
>>>
>>> In principle it's something that could be done, but the timeouts
>>> encountered trying to resolve non-existent domains could make it
>>> impractical.
>
>> Aren't the name resolution attempts done in parallel?
>
> Even if they are, there needs to be a reasonable timeout on
> resolution set, like 10 seconds.  That may not seem like a very
> long delay, but it can keep open server memory allocations, etc.

I see your point.

"No such domain" and "no such entry at this domain" responses are very fast, though.  Couldn't at least quick negative responses be worth points?  Could use a timeout of one or two seconds to save server resources - with a timeout not being worth points at all.

Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer
perl -e"map{y/a-z/l-za-k/;print}shift" "Jjhi pcdiwtg Ptga wprztg,"