[SURBL-Discuss] newly registered domains

John_Delisle at ceridian.ca John_Delisle at ceridian.ca
Mon May 9 15:33:31 CEST 2005

Perhaps a centralized system could provide a whois date check,  allowing
the client side of the implementaion to not need constant updating.

John Delisle, CISA
Senior Network Analyst, Network and Security Team
Information Systems & Technology Management Dept.
Ceridian Canada Ltd
600 - 125 Garry St
Winnipeg, MB
R3C 3P2
204-975-5909

Chris Santerre <csanterre at MerchantsOverseas.com>
Sent by: discuss-bounces at lists.surbl.org
05/09/2005 08:34 AM
Please respond to
SURBL Discussion list <discuss at lists.surbl.org>

"'SURBL Discussion list'" <discuss at lists.surbl.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [SURBL-Discuss] newly registered domains

Well this has been brought up before. It is a very good idea, however
difficult to implement. Unfortunetly the date returned by a whois querey
comes in a wide variety of flavors. We (SARE) thought we had all of the
returned date codes figured out. Nope. New ones still keep coming.

uribl.com has some ideas on how to attack this very issue, but not sure it
is worth it yet.

In short, it would be wonderful to start doing whois lookups for every
domain in an email. Lots of things could be flagged off of it. Think of a
sort of baysien whois DB. But the traffic would be pretty dam big.

--Chris