[SURBL-Discuss] LInk to add to SURBL

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat May 21 04:16:27 CEST 2005

On Friday, May 20, 2005, 6:51:26 PM, David Funk wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, Jeff Chan wrote:

>> On Wednesday, May 18, 2005, 6:44:05 AM, Spam Admin wrote:
>> > spam link.
>>
>> > http://www.kexmt.move.fresh-deals.net/go/g/31/2869/1/?3495564
>>
>> > Dan Zachary
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>> This is a recently registered domain (a couple weeks ago)
>> but it doesn't seem to resolve into spaces that are known
>> to be spammy.  That may just mean spammers have moved into
>> a new network space, etc.
>>
>> However there are a number of odd things about this domain
>> from the registration, to the host's registration, etc.
>> And it doesn't seem to resolve currently.
>>
>> Is anyone else seeing this in spams?
>>
>> Jeff C.

> Jeff,
> I've been getting spam containing that URL and other 'sisters'
> (such as "dealstoday.net").

> They have major spam-sign hallmarks:

> The payload is a few lines of HTML that reference images with the
> ad "message" and then massive amounts of "Bayes poison" hidden by
> HTML comments or CSS tricks (style="visibility:hidden"), bogus HTML
> (large  amounts of text after the closing </HTML> tag),
> as well as being sent to stale local addresses.

> Examples available upon request. ;)

A good way to get these listed is to use SpamCop and/or report
them on the SURBL checker page:

  http://www.spamcop.net/
  http://www.rulesemporium.com/cgi-bin/uribl.cgi

That helps get people and programs checking them.

This suggestion is for Dan Zachary too.  :-)

OTOH, it's good to hear about FNs (false negatives - missed
spams) so we can research them to find ways to include them.
Note that we want examples that are 100% spammy, ideally owned
by criminal spam gangs.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.