[SURBL-Discuss] uk DOT geocities DOT com

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sat Oct 8 17:53:37 CEST 2005

On Saturday, October 8, 2005, 8:49:47 AM, Kevin McGrail wrote:
> The 'article' seems to be a mirror complaint posted by Frank on nttp group
> spamcopy.routing where uk.geocities.com failes the spamcop test for abuse
> contact from both abuse.net and arin.   Now I don't know Frank from nobody
> (haha) but I think the uk.geocities issue is a known issue that yahoo is
> working on.

> Regards,
> KAM

Thanks.  Frank has been on the SpamAssassin and SURBL lists for a
long time.  Everyone knows that Yahoo has not been handling their
abuse very well, but they are making good progress on it lately.
I can't reveal the details, but I know this for a fact, from
several different aspects.

Jeff C.
__

>> What does the article say please?

>       Subject: O/R: 66.218.64.0 -
> 66.218.95.255:network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
>       From: Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de>
>       Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 20:04:24 +0200
>       CC: network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
>       Newsgroups: spamcop.routing

> Hi, for the infamous uk.geocities.com series of spam runs
> SpamCop tries:

> | Using abuse net on network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | abuse net cc.yahoo-inc.com = postmaster at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | Using best contacts postmaster at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | postmaster at cc.yahoo-inc.com bounces (7 sent : 7 bounces)

> But ARIN apparently says that SC should use:

> | "whois 66.218.77.68 at whois.arin.net"
> [...]
> | Found AbuseEmail in whois network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | 66.218.64.0 - 66.218.95.255:network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com

> I recommend to block all mails containing any URL with FQDN
> uk.geocities.com in local URIBLs.

> http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z812431135z90373e8638a8645cf7c1de6de25ebb36z

> As always SpamCop needed at least five "reloads" to find the
> relevant IP for uk.geocities.com spam, and after that effort
> it should use some working abuse@ address at Yahoo!

>                            Bye, Frank

Don't harm innocent bystanders.