[SURBL-Discuss] Re: uk DOT geocities DOT com

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Sun Oct 9 04:57:19 CEST 2005

On Saturday, October 8, 2005, 9:10:35 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> | Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 20:04:24 +0200
> | From: Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de>
> [...]
> | Newsgroups: spamcop.routing
> | CC: network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | Subject: O/R: 66.218.64.0 - 66.218.95.255:network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> [...]

> | Hi, for the infamous uk.geocities.com series of spam runs
> | SpamCop tries:

> | : Using abuse net on network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | : abuse net cc.yahoo-inc.com = postmaster at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | : Using best contacts postmaster at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | : postmaster at cc.yahoo-inc.com bounces (7 sent : 7 bounces)

> | But ARIN apparently says that SC should use:

> | : "whois 66.218.77.68 at whois.arin.net"
> | [...]
> | : Found AbuseEmail in whois network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com
> | : 66.218.64.0 - 66.218.95.255:network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com

The ARIN and abuse.net contact databases are run by humans who
sometimes have difficulty determining who to contact for a given
network/system/organization.  It's particularly difficult for a
large organization like Yahoo, but after some prodding, Yahoo has
provided a private reporting address for SpamCop to use.  SpamCop
may not have installed that address yet, but it has been
provided, and that is significant progress.

Yahoo is also organizing their internal hosting abuse efforts
currently.  It's a non-trivial task, especially given their rapid
growth and massive size.  But they acknowledge there are problems
and are working on solutions.  I'm hopeful that they will get
their abuse under better control.

Until then we can't blacklist them because they do have
legitimate uses.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.