[SURBL-Discuss] Re: uk DOT geocities DOT com

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Mon Oct 10 20:26:47 CEST 2005

Jeff Chan wrote (munged by me):

> Because
[see subject]
> (or any com, net, org, etc.) is going to be reduced to the
> second level, i.e.,
[geocities DOT com]
> before checking.

Of course I checked this on the WL hit page...
<http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/whitelist-hits.new.log.sort>

It shows eight hits for the SLD and two hits for [see subject],
all ten hits from 2004.  The latter April 2004, so probably
the removal of UK from the FQDN started to work after 04-16.

The last WL hit was 2004-12-07, and I'm sure that this must
be wrong:  The spam for [see subject] sometimes avoids the
radar of my ISP, no ***SPAM*** tag, and then I often report
spam manually, because it could be "fresh" (both for my ISP,
but also for SURBL).  Therefore that should show up on the
WL hit list (= automatically rejected by SURBL).

But it doesn't, therefore something is wrong.  I think it's
a problem on SC's side, but with Murphy it could be also a
PEBKAC (= I don't understand the WL hit list), or a double
fault (= WL hit list doesn't work), or worse.

For starters I've now created a simple PURL to look up new
"net-abuse" articles:

http://purl.net/net/abuse       => Russ' nice net-abuse FAQ
http://purl.net/net/abuse/      => partial redirect to fresh
                                   net-abuse excl. sightings
http://purl.net/net/abuse/uk.geocities.com  (see subject ;-)

Should also work with purl.org/net/abuse/whatever, bye, Frank