[SURBL-Discuss] Re: uk DOT geocities DOT com

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Mon Oct 10 22:24:15 CEST 2005

On Monday, October 10, 2005, 11:05:00 AM, Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Jeff Chan wrote:

>> The ARIN and abuse.net contact databases are run by humans
>> who sometimes have difficulty determining who to contact for
>> a given network/system/organization.

> Sure, but I refuse to bother John (update AT abuse.net) only
> to bypass a "bug" (or feature) in SC's algorithm to guess a
> better address than what they get from ARIN.

> abuse.net doesn't need a working entry for cc.yahoo-inc.com,
> it has an entry for [see subject] submitted by postmaster at .

John is in contact with Yahoo and should know what abuse
addresses to use for them.

> That issue has to be fixed at SpamCop somehow, not abuse.net.

SpamCop has some private contact addresses that they use for
certain networks.  They are sometimes different from John's
publically-listed abuse.net addresses.

>> SpamCop may not have installed that address yet, but it has
>> been provided, and that is significant progress.

> ACK, let's see what happens.  Yesterday my report never made
> it to their Web site reports page,

When SpamCop is using a private contact address, it probably
doesn't show up on their reports page, but they do get forwarded
to the private contact address.

> therefore it's no surprise
> if it also never made it to your WL hit page.

The SpamCop spamvertised site page is the basis for the current
sc.surbl.org list, but the sc2 list is based on a direct database
feed from SpamCop which I believe may include more reports.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.