[SURBL-Discuss] use of surbl to check non-body content?

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Wed Oct 12 07:09:12 CEST 2005

On Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 9:18:47 PM, Rob McEwen wrote:
> Steven,

> I have found through experience that the FP rate is considerably higher when
> checking headers with SURBL. I can't even recall ALL the reasons why... but
> I know empirically... from actually experience... that this is true.
> (especially with IP addresses)

I'm puzzled why there would be FPs.  Are hammers forging spam
domains in their headers?  That would seem bizarre if so.

> Also, because checking against headers results in more FPs and because this
> is not the official prescribed method, if you ever report such a FP, please
> be sure to mention that the URI was found in the header and that you
> **know** that checking such is not the official way of doing things.

Actually I'd suggest just reporting FPs from message bodies, but
would be interested in hearing about FPs from headers, even
though that's not the intended use.

Don't harm innocent bystanders.