[SURBL-Discuss] Re: uk DOT geocities DOT com

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Thu Oct 13 03:28:48 CEST 2005

Jeff Chan wrote:

>> If "sc2" will have some shortcut resulting in essentially
>> the same input it's of course fine,

> It's not the same input; it's a direct, private database
> query into SpamCop.  Some of the data may be the same, some
> may not be.

With "essentially the same input" I meant the manual spam
reports, spam where SC tried to find some spamvertized URLs.

Good news, SC now uses a working abuse address also for the
geocities crap, example link taken from their "stats" page:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?track=http://www geocities com/ghadifabecergil/

(add missing dots for a working URL).  So now I'd expect that
this "vote" later shows up on your WL hit list for geocities.

> I don't want to talk about it further since these are the
> private arrangements between SpamCop and Yahoo.

There's nothing private about the new used reporting address,
network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc.com is just what ARIN says.

> The less we reveal to spammers the better.

It has still to be enough that I can trust it.  Something is
phishy if geocities gets some extra-processing only because
they are big.  For a spamvertized geocities URL SpamCop now
needs 40 (!) reloads of the parsing until it finds the IP -
and that's the bad news.

I've no idea what the problem is, but it wouldn't surprise me
if somebody working from within Yahoo! tries to play games with
SpamCop.  OTOH I'd doubt that these persons control everything,
maybe network-abuse at cc.yahoo-inc stops this "insider business".

                       Bye, Frank