[SURBL-Discuss] Program comments: surblhost

Jeff Chan jeffc at surbl.org
Tue Aug 15 17:25:28 CEST 2006

On Tuesday, August 15, 2006, 6:09:23 AM, Christian Larsen wrote:
> Hi,

> I've made a simple C commandline program to query multi.surbl.org

> I'd be very happy to receive comments.  The program is available
> from http://surblhost.sourceforge.net (source only).

> Thanks!

Thanks much for writing this Christian!  Hope you don't mind some
feedback that applies equally to any application using SURBL
data:

1.  It should not check common, whitehat domains as that results
in potentially very many unnecessary DNS queries.  For example
SpamAssassin excludes from checking commonly appearing domains
like google.com, yahoo.com, w3.org, etc.:

  http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/dist/rules/25_uribl.cf

This list should be ok to hardcode.

2.  It should reduce country code TLDs to 2 or 3 levels depending
on whether it's in this table:

  http://spamcheck.freeapp.net/two-level-tlds

In practice this is not nearly as important as #1 since most spam
domains are in .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, etc.  Also be sure
not to do excessive web downloads of that file.  It probably
should be hard coded too.

3.  The WS list is not strictly part of SpamAssassin, it's Bill
Stearns'.  The JP list is the work of both Joe Wein and Raymond
at Prolocation; it's more than jwSpamSpy:

  http://www.surbl.org/lists.html

These points are covered in the implementation guidelines:

  http://www.surbl.org/implementation.html

Let us know if you're able to make some of these revisions, then
we'll add links to your Sourceforge page from ours.

Cheers,

Don't harm innocent bystanders.